Sunday, May 13, 2007

This Is My First Embroidery 1988-89




I'd done a couple of little flowers on kiddies dresses, and when I was 16 I'd made a long flowing dress (we're talking about 1974) upon which I embroidered a tree. Done 'in situ' as I recall, while I was sitting on a hill in Mullumbimby. It had a sun on it too... which reminds me that I did the same sun on a dress for my first daughter Claire... might get a photo...
Anyway, this picture I did without preparation and had some difficulty bringing it together. The figure on the swing I added later, because it didn't feel right...
The ground is solid with many many greens, all one thread. Then Bullions for the textural grass. I'd used a scrap of calico, which gave no contrast at all to the clouds, OBVIOUSLY!! So I painted in a blue sky, and then went over the embroidered clouds in white.
I didn't consider it finished, but intend to leave it alone.
I suppose it measures about 6 inches across and I hate the colour of the mat board, must get a new one. White or off white is always best.
Oh, and this is my second embroidery...

2 comments:

shula said...

Okay, so now I most definitely love you.

I have an image of my first embroidery, also done around 1988, which I will get hold of and show you.

And you'll understand.

Bobby La said...

You were already my new best friend Shula Hula Hoop. But I can't wait to see...